Take a guided tour of the institution that housed Victoria's mentally ill for over 126 years.
Aradale Asylum was an Australian psychiatric hospital, located in Ararat, a rural city in Victoria, Australia.
Now a ghost "town", Aradale was once known as the Ararat Lunatic Asylum. Aradale and its two sister asylums at Kew and Beechworth were commissioned to accommodate the growing number of "lunatics" in the colony of Victoria. Construction began in 1860 and was opened for patients in 1865. It was closed as an asylum in 1998. At its height, Aradale had up to 900 patients yearly and is a large complex with up to 70 interesting historic abandoned buildings.
- Walk through the cavernous wards and halls of the institution that treated and housed the mentally ill of Victoria for over 126 years.
- Tours each Sunday and Wednesday, 11am and 2pm, 90-120 minutes duration
- Group bookings can be arranged for other times.
- Limited to 25 people per group
Conducted each Sunday and Wednesday at 11am and 2pm.
Extra tours are organised for public holiday weekends.
- Tours are conducted by the Friends of J Ward volunteers
- Age limits – parental discretion advised
- Accessibility – stairs, no wheelchairs
- Toilets – available during the tour
- Photos – yes
- Participants will gain a greater understanding of the history of Victorian Mental Health System.
Bookings & Tickets
Tickets can be purchased at:
Ararat and Grampians Visitor Information Centre,
91 High Street, Ararat.
Phone: 1800 657 158
|Child (16 and under)||$10|
|Family (2 adults, 2 children)||$50|
Concession applies to Aged Pensioners, Seniors Card holders and pre-booked groups of ten or more.
Group tours can be organised at any time. The cost is $18 per head for minimum of 10 people, or $180.
Ghost Tours of J Ward Asylum for the Criminally Insane are available. Please contact Lantern Ghost Tours, Ph. 1300 390 119 or email@example.com.
Information available from the Ararat and Grampians Visitor Information Centre, 91 High St, Ararat.
To commence from the Grano Street entrance.
View Larger Map